The Construction and Demolition Waste (RCD), commonly known as rubble, are those basically consist of all waste generated in the activities of construction, reshuffle, rehabilitation, reform, demolition and maintenance of buildings and infrastructure in general.
Present day, the generation of the RCD has increased as a result of urban growth. Until recently, the fate of these residues was the dump, prompting saturation, or "dumps" or illegal sites were abandoned.
Improper management of these wastes has caused severe environmental deterioration and landscape, since the deposit unconditioned land results in soil pollution or groundwater. This deterioration of the environment, also due to the impact that neglect causes a significant amount of waste materials that can be recovered and recycled.
In the field of architecture, to perform the RCD recycling and reuse as secondary materials, It must be based on a proper demolition project. This leads to a presorting and orderly withdrawal by type of waste materials (wood, iron and Steel, concrete, glass, and others), and the establishment of planning and adaptation of employment to provide channels feasibility of recycling materials, regardless of its origin and typology.
One of the first difficulties of recycling is the heterogeneity of the starting materials and the ignorance of the origins and source of waste. The more homogeneous the waste produced, There are more easily reuse and which in turn can be carried out with greater assurance.
Schematically, the process is carried out in the DRC recycling can be divided into:
• Receiving process material: Access to the plant, both vehicles carrying out the transport of material into the plant as they come out with products, They undergo weighing and control through a truck scale.
• Triage process and classification: Proceeds to visually inspect the material. Then if it is material that has not treated (earth excavation) It is sent to the place of stockaje. After this first selection, the line material is incorporated triage, in which a separation is made double. A first mechanical through a trommel, where various fractions are separated: metallic, lumber, Plastics, paper and paperboard. Failure classified material is incorporated into the online manual triage. Unseparated in this line elements constitute the reject material, that is incorporated into landfill.
• Recycling process: Suitable materials to be recycled are reintroduced in the corresponding business cycle, through specialized companies in each case.
• Process stockaje: Storage areas provided for different materials (products), have so that when there is an amount sufficient to proceed with the removal and recycling of the same.
• Process of elimination: The unsuitable material for reuse or recycling is deposited in the disposal area.
To make this possible, investigations that give solutions to recycling must be increased, as well as investment in new avenues of application of recycled building materials. Only in this way can slow down the environmental and landscape deterioration, and contamination of soil and groundwater. The architects have increasing responsibility in achieving that goal; we must build in mind the importance of proper waste management to ensure a sustainable future.